American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Iran or its people, language, or culture.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Iran.
- n. A branch of the Indo-European language family that includes Persian, Kurdish, Pashto, and other languages of Iran, Afghanistan, and western Pakistan.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating or pertaining to Iran or the people of Iran, the ancient name of the region lying between Kurdistan and India, and the modern Persian name of Persia: specifically applied to a branch of Indo-European or Aryan tongues, including Persian, Zend, Pehlevi, Parsi or Pazend, and cognate tongues. The word is derived from the legendary history of the Persian race given in Firdusi's “Book of Kings,” according to which Iran and Tur were two of three brothers, from whom the tribes Iran (Persians) and Turan (Turks and their cognate tribes) sprang. See
- n. An inhabitant of Iran; a member of one of the races speaking Iranian languages.
- n. A person from Iran or of Iranian descent.
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to Iran, the Iranian people or the Iranian languages.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to Iran.
- n. the modern Persian language spoken in Iran
- n. a native or inhabitant of Iran
- adj. of or relating to Iran or its people or language or culture
“MAHMOUD AHMADINEJAD, IRANIAN PRESIDENT (through translator): If this is the continuation of the old process, well, the Iranian people need to defend its rights, its interests as well.”
“ALAEDDIN BOROUJERDI, IRANIAN PARLIAMENT (through translator): The Americans are no other choice but to admit to the reality of the Iranian nuclear issue, along with the international community, and I think that this is an important report.”
“MAHMOUD AHMADINEJAD, IRANIAN PRESIDENT (through translator): Access to peaceful nuclear energy and power is the right of the Iranian people.”
“MAHMOUD AHMADINEJAD, IRANIAN PRESIDENT (through translator): What I said in my letter was the demands of the Iranian people and our nation.”
“AKBAR HASHEMI RAFSANJANI, IRANIAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE (through translator): There's many people, as you have pointed out, make such judgments, but the majority of the Iranian people are satisfied (INAUDIBLE) with their revolution.”
“Arab Media Corporation from Dictatorship of Saudi Arabia declares war on iranian Football Fans, Iran let, s fight back bit. ly Antarinejad (Ahmadinejad) vows to avenge Revolutionary Guard suicide bombing The Iranian armed forces have accused the”
“Dr. FARHANG HOLAKOUEE, IRANIAN RADIO SHOW HOST: 670 A.M. FINNSTROM. Across town at Iranian radio station KIRN, Dr. Farhang Holakouee devotes his two hour show to emotional questions about Iran's fate.”
“TRANSLATION OF ALI LARIJANI, IRANIAN NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL: Hezbollah does not need Iranian weapons.”
“Iran has refused to discuss the allegations of weapons experiments for three years, saying they are based on "fabricated documents" provided by a "few arrogant countries," a term Iranian authorities often use to refer to the United States and its allies.”
“He said Iran and the Shiites opposed giving al-Qaeda credit for the 9-11 attacks "because this would expose their lip-service to jihad holy war against the Great Satan," a term Iranian officials have used to describe the U.S.”
Looking for tweets for Iranian.