from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Afghanistan or its people, language, or culture.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Afghanistan; an Afghani.
- n. See Pashto.
- n. A coverlet or shawl of wool, knitted or crocheted in colorful geometric designs.
- n. A carpet of similar design.
- n. An Afghan hound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person from Afghanistan or of Afghan descent.
- n. A person of Pashtun ethnicity or of Pashtun descent.
- n. A breed of dogs, the Afghan hound.
- proper n. Pashto, a language primarily spoken in Afghanistan and northwestern Pakistan.
- proper n. Short form for Afghanistan.
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to Afghanistan.
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to the Pashtun ethnic community.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Afghanistan.
- n. A native of Afghanistan.
- n. A kind of worsted blanket or wrap.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Afghanistan, a mountainous country lying northwest of British India, south of Asiatic Russia, and east of Persia; distinctively, a member of the principal or dominant race of Afghanistan, speaking the Afghan language, the other inhabitants generally speaking Persian.
- n. The language of the Afghans, called by themselves Pushtu or Pukhtu, of Aryan affinity, though formerly supposed by some to be Semitic.
- n. [lowercase] A kind of blanket made of knitted or crocheted wool, used as a sofa-cover or as a carriage-robe.
- Pertaining or relating to Afghanistan or its people.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of Afghanistan or its people
- n. a blanket knitted or crocheted in strips or squares; sometimes used as a shawl
- n. a native or inhabitant of Afghanistan
- n. tall graceful breed of hound with a long silky coat; native to the Near East
- n. an Iranian language spoken in Afghanistan and Pakistan; the official language of Afghanistan
- n. a coat made of sheepskin
Persian afghān, an Afghan.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Persian افغان (afğân, "Afghan") via Prakrit आभगन (ābhagana, "Afghan") from Sanskrit अश्वक (aśvaka, "horseman") (Wiktionary)