Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the archduchy of Austria, or to the Cisleithan division of the dual Austro-Hungarian monarchy, or to the collective dominions of the house of Hapsburg.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of the archduchy of Austria, the nucleus of the Hapsburg dominions, comprising the crown lands of Upper and Lower Austria.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of the Cisleithan division of Austria-Hungary, which comprises all the crown lands of the dual empire except Hungary, Croatia with Slavonia, and Fiume.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of any part of the dominions of the house of Hapsburg, known since 1867 as Austria-Hungary.
- Southern; austral.
- n. A person from Austria or of Austrian descent.
- adj. Of, from, or pertaining to Austria, or its people.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to Austria, or to its inhabitants.
- adj. of or relating to Austria or its people or culture
- n. a native or inhabitant of Austria
- From Austria + -an. (Wiktionary)
“As he characteristically points out in straightforward terms --- the last time a significant figure in "Austrian" economics was born in Austria it was the 19th century, so what does it mean to use the term Austrian?”
“I am only pleading with you to use the term Austrian in the same mundane and common sense way.”
“It is reasonable to admit possibility that Leeson's attempt to broaden the term Austrian from its conventional meaning could be a huge boon to our movement.”
“However, I really don't think the label Austrian or not is the issue here.”
“Taranto at the Wall Street Journal comments: Obama might not have meant it this way, but his reference to "Austrian" is a timely reminder of the incalculable moral debt Europe owes America.”
“An outsized chef dressed in Austrian clothes, speaking Italian and serving classic German food is not as unusual as it sounds in South Tyrol.”
“Saringer worked on Vonn around the clock, performing lymph drainage (a type of massage used to improve flow and drainage and speed healing), cheese therapy (wrapping an injury in Austrian topfen cheese, thought by some to promote healing), swathing the shin in castor oil and wrapping it in saran wrap.”
“In other words, we ought to move past this and return to the real pressing issues of the country, such as whether or not Obama thinks Austrian is a national language.”
“I thought you might as well hear it from me first (although I gather a certain Austrian gentleman has been circulating a rumour about it!) as I can foresee some finger-wagging, not to mention finger-pointing.”
“I thought the model of the market in Austrian Economics is of an imperfect information processing machine, none of the participants have perfect information but the market is able to combine millions of diverse perferences into one consensus.”
Looking for tweets for Austrian.