from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Surrounded nearly or completely by dry land. Used of large bodies of water, such as lakes or seas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Inclosed, or nearly inclosed, with land.
- adj. Inland; remote from the ocean.
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or located in the Mediterranean Sea or on the adjacent lands
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In the midst of an expanse of land; away from the sea; inland.
- Nearly or quite surrounded by land; existing in the midst of inclosing land; confined or cut off by a bordering of land: used specifically [capitalized] as the name of the sea between Europe and Africa, the Mediterranean Sea, or (substantively) the Mediterranean, and rarely otherwise.
- [capitalized] Pertaining to, situated on or near, or dwelling about the Mediterranean Sea: as, the Mediterranean currents; the Mediterranean countries or races.
- Same as Iberian, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the largest inland sea; between Europe and Africa and Asia
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of or located near the Mediterranean Sea
Latin mediterrāneus, inland : medius, middle; + terra, land.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)