American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Family of American comedians, including the brothers Julius (1890-1977), known as "Groucho”; Leonard (1891-1961), known as "Chico”; Arthur (1893-1964), known as "Harpo”; Milton (1894-1977), known as "Gummo”; and Herbert (1901-1979), known as "Zeppo.” Some of their many popular Broadway shows were made into movies, including Horse Feathers (1932) and Duck Soup (1933).
- Marx, Karl 1818-1883. German philosopher, economist, and revolutionary. With the help and support of Friedrich Engels he wrote The Communist Manifesto (1848) and Das Kapital (1867-1894). These works explain historical development in terms of the interaction of contradictory economic forces, form the basis of all communist theory, and have had a profound influence on the social sciences.
- n. A German surname.
- n. Karl Marx
- n. United States comedian; one of four brothers who made motion pictures together (1891-1961)
- n. United States comedian; one of four brothers who made motion pictures together (1890-1977)
- n. United States comedian; one of four brothers who made motion pictures together (1893-1964)
- n. United States comedian; one of four brothers who made motion pictures together (1901-1979)
- n. founder of modern communism; wrote the Communist Manifesto with Engels in 1848; wrote Das Kapital in 1867 (1818-1883)
“They of course give old Karl the last word: The final Beck novel ends on the word "Marx.”
“Quite why this would tie me in with a Marxist or Marxian approach, I do not know, other than the mention of the name Marx which is not good enough.”
“Your faith in Marx is as profound as Pat Robertson’s in Jesus.”
“Obviously, pointing out that this was a measure advocated by Marx is fairly weak, since he also, in the same place, advocated free public education for children.”
“One pleasure in the rereading of Marx is to savor the trenchancy and aptness of his literary allusions.”
“Marx is so embedded in our Western cast of thought that few people are even aware of their debt to him.”
“It is fair to say that the last time I immersed myself in Marx, wait, the second but last time.”
“I knew it was a political party, I also knew that they were very keen on it in Russia and that it had been invented by someone called Marx.”
“Now Marx is just restating what I already told you.”
“I presume Marx is included due to his historical influence rather than because his theories are taken seriously by economists today.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Marx’.
Words to describe art of the fauvist movement
Words from the book by Jane Jacobs.
Looking for tweets for Marx.