American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that believes in or follows the ideas of Marx and Engels.
- n. A Marxian.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A socialist of the school which accepts the views of Karl Marx, or a historian or sociologist who accepts Marx's economic interpretation of history.
- adj. Following the ideals of Marxism.
- n. One that believes in or follows the ideals of Marxism.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who believes in the theories of Karl Marx.
- adj. Of or pertaining to Marx or Marxism.
- n. an advocate of Marxism
- adj. following the ideas of Marx and Engels
- n. emotionally charged terms used to refer to extreme radicals or revolutionaries
- From Marx + -ist. (Wiktionary)
“I do think that the label Marxist to refer to a particular set of approaches to problems, or methodology, is confusing and unfortunate.”
“In the realm of scholarship, I think the term Marxist now more broadly is used for better or worse to point to scholarship in which class struggle is a strong factor, class is the major agent of history which moves across time, and in which material determinism is assumed.”
“Nations predicted up to 4 million people would need food aid over the coming months, Mugabe urged his countrymen to rededicate themselves to what he called Marxist-socialism ideals of hard work.”
“He's repeatedly going back to what he calls a Marxist cultural conspiracy to take over the country, where the Marxists have infiltrated government, pushing their multicultural agenda.”
“I was a Ph.D. candidate in Marxist social science at Madison, and I took a year off and worked construction and trained for the Golden Gloves.”
“I think both models are valid -- the "loose, temporary associations" are based on direct or indirect personal contact, and are often geared to small-scale, well-defined goals, while the point of a class in Marxist terms is that members of a class have a common interest towards various goals at the highest scale (trade v protectionism, redistributive taxation v low taxation, peace v war, etc).”
“If this man was not astute enough to know that Obama was a leftist, Marxist from the beginning and voted for him how is he to be listened to now?”
“I doubt you even know what a true Marxist is and for you to say our President is not a citizen is downright illiterate.”
“Calling President Obama a Leftist or a Socialist or a Marxist is just more of a broken record ...”
“To Randal, Yes I do know what makes a good prez and I. m fairly certain Marxist beliefs are not part of it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Marxist’.
Words to describe the art during the Realist movement
Looking for tweets for Marxist.