from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An extreme radical republican during the French Revolution.
- n. A revolutionary extremist.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fellow without breeches; a ragged fellow; -- a name of reproach given in the first French revolution to the extreme republican party, who rejected breeches as an emblem peculiar to the upper classes or aristocracy, and adopted pantaloons.
- n. Hence, an extreme or radical republican; a violent revolutionist; a Jacobin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Literally, one who is without breeches: a name given to the poorer men of Paris who were prominent in the first French Revolution and took part in the attacks upon the court, the Bastille, etc.
- n. Hence An advanced Republican; a revolutionist; by extension, a communist or anarchist.
French : sans, without + culotte, breeches.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French sans-culotte. (Wiktionary)