American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A scientist who specializes in physics.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A student of physics; a natural philosopher.
- n. In biol, one who seeks to explain fundamental vital phenomena upon purely physical or chemical principles; one who holds that life is a form of energy due simply to molecular movements taking place in the ultimate molecules of the protoplasm, and capable of correlation with the ordinary physical and chemical forces: opposed to vitalist.
- n. A person whose occupation specializes in the science of physics, especially at a professional level.
- n. archaic A believer in the theory that the fundamental phenomena of life are to be explained upon purely chemical and physical principles (opposed to vitalist).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One versed in physics.
- n. (Biol.) A believer in the theory that the fundamental phenomena of life are to be explained upon purely chemical and physical principles; -- opposed to
- n. a scientist trained in physics
- From physics + -ist (Wiktionary)
“I imagine that this résumé permits him to assign himself the title physicist, but not in the Robert Oppenheimer/Edward Teller sense of the word.”
“Sean M Carroll the physicist is the one who resigned blogging heads.”
“But the physicist is at a disadvantage in this respect on account of the very specialized nature of his work, which cannot be made intelligible without an intensive preliminary course of study.”
“He alienated fellow players in an online game with disjointed, hostile posts, including one in which he called the physicist”
“I said it before and I'll say it again: Being a theoretical physicist is a great gig.”
“Weitbrecht, a physicist, is credited with inventing the TTY modem with help from Marsters, an orthodontist, and Andrew Saks, a deaf engineer.”
“But then again that crap about level 1 civilizations coming from a physicist is pretty damn hysterical as well.”
“Stephen asked her if "being a theoretical physicist is like studying unicorn husbandry" - Levin answers with aplomb.”
“And at least one working physicist is getting testy.”
“His distraught wife, Elsa, once a prominent physicist, is becoming unhinged.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘physicist’.
species, sex, age bracket, occupation, hobby .. etc.
Looking for tweets for physicist.