Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In theology, one who holds to the divine election of entire nations as distinguished from that of particular individuals.
- n. A member of a Jewish political party in the time of Christ; a zealot.
- n. A supporter of Irish nationalism.
- Of or pertaining to nationalists; advocating or upholding nationalism.
- adj. Of or relating to nationalism.
- n. An advocate of nationalism.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who advocates national unity and independence; -- as, for example, one of a party favoring Irish independence before 1918.
- n. One who advocates nationalism, in any sense.
- n. one who loves and defends his or her country
- n. an advocate of national independence of or a strong national government
- adj. devotion to the interests or culture of a particular nation including promoting the interests of one country over those of others
- national + -ist (Wiktionary)
“It is more than a semantic issue because the word nationalist is bandied about and used to promote or, more frequently, stigmatize policies in a way that obscures clear thought.”
“I think one of the fascinating things that seems to be going on is that the Americans and others here who are shepherding this process are trying to find a wedge between what they call the nationalist insurgents ...”
“What remains constant in the nationalist is his state of mind: the object of his feelings is changeable, and may be imaginary.”
“Newsweek was so controversial that last spring, a pro-Kremlin nationalist youth group posted attack videos against Fishman on its website.”
“Instead, politicians indulge endlessly in nationalist rhetoric.”
“A nationalist is someone who believes in the sovereignty of his nation-state as opposed to an internationalist or a globalist.”
“Obama the secret black nationalist is almost equivalent to Obama the secret Muslim.”
“The political rationale for this initiative lay in nationalist concerns about Turkey, which prevailed during the period, as well as in the long-standing concerns about the 'demographic problem' given the low birth rate in Greece.”
“The Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK), one of the two main Kurdish nationalist factions in northern Iraq, has been hoping to do away with Ansar ahead of any U. S.-led campaign against Saddam Hussein, not wanting to have to fight on two fronts .....”
“As hated as JFK had become in nationalist conservative circles LBJ was the de facto president who benefited from and protected the members staging the coup d'état.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘nationalist’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
From a book about life and death.
See the comments under alist for the origin of this list.
Looking for tweets for nationalist.