from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In theology, one who holds to the divine election of entire nations as distinguished from that of particular individuals.
- noun A member of a Jewish political party in the time of Christ; a zealot.
- noun A supporter of Irish nationalism.
- Of or pertaining to nationalists; advocating or upholding nationalism.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun One who advocates national unity and independence; -- as, for example, one of a party favoring Irish independence before 1918.
- noun One who advocates nationalism, in any sense.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Of or relating to
- noun An advocate of nationalism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun one who loves and defends his or her country
- noun an advocate of national independence of or a strong national government
- adjective devotion to the interests or culture of a particular nation including promoting the interests of one country over those of others
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word nationalist.
It is more than a semantic issue because the word nationalist is bandied about and used to promote or, more frequently, stigmatize policies in a way that obscures clear thought.
WalesOnline - Home 2011
I think one of the fascinating things that seems to be going on is that the Americans and others here who are shepherding this process are trying to find a wedge between what they call the nationalist insurgents ...
What remains constant in the nationalist is his state of mind: the object of his feelings is changeable, and may be imaginary.
Notes on Nationalism 1945
Newsweek was so controversial that last spring, a pro-Kremlin nationalist youth group posted attack videos against Fishman on its website.
Instead, politicians indulge endlessly in nationalist rhetoric.
Elmira Bayrasli: Electing an Independent Bosnia: The High Representative Must Go Elmira Bayrasli 2010
A nationalist is someone who believes in the sovereignty of his nation-state as opposed to an internationalist or a globalist.
The Volokh Conspiracy » So a Libertarian and a Liberal Walk into a Bar 2010
The political rationale for this initiative lay in nationalist concerns about Turkey, which prevailed during the period, as well as in the long-standing concerns about the 'demographic problem' given the low birth rate in Greece.
Arms and the Woman: Just Warriors and Greek Feminist Identity 2008
Obama the secret black nationalist is almost equivalent to Obama the secret Muslim.
The Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK), one of the two main Kurdish nationalist factions in northern Iraq, has been hoping to do away with Ansar ahead of any U. S.-led campaign against Saddam Hussein, not wanting to have to fight on two fronts .....
CT-SEN: Lieberman Suggests Terrorists Were In Iraq Before U.S. Invasion 2009
As hated as JFK had become in nationalist conservative circles LBJ was the de facto president who benefited from and protected the members staging the coup d'état.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.