American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who advocates or resorts to measures beyond the norm, especially in politics.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who goes to extremes; a supporter of extreme doctrines or practice.
- n. a person who holds extreme views, especially one who advocates such views; a radical or fanatic
- adj. holding extreme views, especially on a political subject
- adj. of, or relating to extremism
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A supporter of extreme doctrines or practice; one who holds extreme opinions.
- adj. (used of opinions and actions) far beyond the norm
- n. a person who holds extreme views
“Barry Goldwater even embraced the title extremist ( "extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice"), George McGovern's anti-war crusade offered an unapologetically leftist platform, and Walter Mondale proudly promised in his convention speech that he would raise the nation's taxes.”
“The term extremist is NOT what the left supports … which is why the left works against the right because of all the extremist types in the republican party … but they call themselves christians instead of muslims … what ever BS … they are biggoted facists.”
“The department cites threatening rhetoric from what it calls extremist groups.”
“The official Syrian news agency said Monday night that the military had entered the town at the request of citizens to hunt what it called "extremist terrorist groups.”
“AP CARACAS, Venezuela — Venezuela's foreign minister is criticizing U.S. conservatives for what he calls "extremist" stances against President Hugo Chavez's government.”
“KURTZ: If the Republican Party has been hijacked by what you call the extremist Tea Party -- you argue that as a columnist -- has the mainstream press, the regular news coverage, has it reflected that?”
“Qatar's Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani was quoted on Thursday as saying Islamists were likely to represent the next wave of political power in the Arab world and that the West should embrace them, saying moderate Islamists could help combat what he called extremist ideology.”
“Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, who introduced the Senate Bill, said he was not surprised that the institute, which he called "extremist," took this step.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘extremist’.
words for those who commit particular crimes: i.e., bank robber, arsonist, etc.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for extremist.