American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Relating to or being a revolution: revolutionary war; a museum of the Revolutionary era.
- adj. Bringing about or supporting a political or social revolution: revolutionary pamphlets.
- adj. Marked by or resulting in radical change: a revolutionary discovery.
- n. A militant in the struggle for revolution.
- n. A supporter of revolutionary principles.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to a revolution in government, or [capitalized] to any movement or crisis known as the Revolution: as, a revolutionary war; Revolutionary heroes; the Revolutionary epoch in American history.
- Tending to produce revolution; subversive of established codes or systems: as, revolutionary measures; revolutionary doctrines.
- n. A revolutionist.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a revolution in government; tending to, or promoting, revolution; as, revolutionary war; revolutionary measures; revolutionary agitators.
- adj. advertising pertaining to something that portends of great change; overthrowing a standing mindset
- adj. sciences pertaining to something that revolves
- n. A revolutionist; a person who revolts.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to a revolution in government; tending to, or promoting, revolution.
- n. rare A revolutionist.
- adj. markedly new or introducing radical change
- adj. advocating or engaged in revolution
- adj. relating to or having the nature of a revolution
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic or causing an axial or orbital turn
- n. a radical supporter of political or social revolution
- confer French révolutionnaire (Wiktionary)
“[Castro] It depends on what is understood by the term revolutionary focus.”
“The NPA, which the United States and European Union consider to be a foreign terrorist organization, has long extracted what it calls "revolutionary taxes" from businesses operating up and down the length of the Philippines.”
“Daniel comes to what he describes as a revolutionary perspective through his own experiences as a worker in some of the hippest digital corporations in the new info crunching capitalist economy.”
“President Ahmadinejad planning to form an anti-American alliance with what he calls the revolutionary countries of Latin America.”
“He said he was going to fight to defend what he calls his revolutionary style government to the death.”
“De Klerk said it was true that the former government had embarked on overt and covert actions against what he called the revolutionary onslaught.”
“I remember perfectly how, immediately after the guerrilla movement headed by Che in Bolivia [applause], in which -- as it is known full well, Cuban revolutionaries also participated the death of Che, a harsh blow to our people, a harsh blow to the Latin American revolutionary movement -- was used as a kind of argument to refute the idea of revolutionary armed struggle.”
“March 30, 1855, as the legitimate Government, he sent a special message to Congress on January 24, 1856, in which he characterized as revolutionary the movement of the free-state men to organize a separate”
“In these times, the representatives had organized in Haut-Rhin what they called a revolutionary army, composed of deserters and all the vagabonds and scamps they could pick up who had belonged to the popular club; they dragged along after it what they called judges and a guillotine.”
“Comte has no difficulty in making out an equally strong case against the other principal tenets of what he calls the revolutionary school; since all that they generally amount to is, that something ought not to be: which cannot possibly be the whole truth, and which M.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘revolutionary’.
Use these and get promoted
A jumble of words, sometimes contradictory, that add up to me. I'll probably be adding to this list for some time, because I'm a very complex individual. ;P
A complete list of the green cards (adjectives) from the popular word game.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Read this list, and read it well. When you finish, you'll know me better than my mother. That is, unless she reads this list too.
Based on a frequency analysis
Looking for tweets for revolutionary.