from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of a band of ancient Norse warriors legendary for their savagery and reckless frenzy in battle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of a class of legendary Norse warriors who fought frenzied and shirtless regardless of wounds (possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms).
- n. One who fights as if frenzied, like a Berserker.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A wild warrior or champion of heathen times in Scandinavia.
- n. Hence A person of extreme violence and fury.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury
Old Norse berserkr : *bera, feminine of björn, bear; see bher-2 in Indo-European roots + serkr, shirt.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)