from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An old woman, especially one who is considered ugly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of beldame.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Grandmother; -- corresponding to belsire.
- n. An old woman in general; especially, an ugly old woman; a hag.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Grandmother: corresponding to belsire, grandfather: sometimes applied to a great-grandmother.
- n. An old woman in general, especially an ugly old woman; a hag.
- n. [A forced use of the F. belle dame.] Fair dame or lady.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ugly evil-looking old woman
- n. a woman of advanced age
Middle English, grandmother : bel, indicating respect (from Old French bel, fine, from Latin bellus; see deu-2 in Indo-European roots) + dame, lady; see dame.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)