from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A venomous snake (Agkistrodon contortrix) of the eastern and central United States, having a reddish-brown body marked with darker crossbands arranged in an hourglass pattern.
- n. A Northerner who sympathized with the South during the Civil War.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of two species of snakes, with a copper-colored head.
- n. Someone with ginger hair.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A poisonous American serpent (Ancistrodon conotortrix), closely allied to the rattlesnake, but without rattles; -- called also copper-belly, and red viper.
- n. A nickname applied to a person in the Northern States who sympathized with the South during the Civil War.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A common venomous serpent of the United States, Trigonocephalus or Ancistrodon contortrix.
- n. Hence During the civil war in the United States, a northern sympathizer with the rebellion: so called by the Unionists.
- n. A term of ridicule or contempt applied to the early Dutch colonists of New York.
- n. A private token, equal to one cent, struck in the United States during the Civil War.
- n. In ornithology, the yellow-headed blackbird, Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus. of the western United States: so called from the reddish-yellow color of its head.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. common coppery brown pit viper of upland eastern United States
- n. venomous but sluggish reddish-brown snake of Australia
copper + head (Wiktionary)