from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See water moccasin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An oral dryness often associated with certain medicines and recreational drugs.
- n. A snake, Agkistrodon piscivorus, the water moccasin.
- n. A snake, Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen, the northern copperhead.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. venomous semiaquatic snake (Agkistrodon piscivorus) of swamps in southern U.S.; -- called also water moccasin, cottonmouth moccasin, and cottonmouth water moccasin. It grows to a length of about 4 feet. The name refers to the whiteness of the lips and inside of the mouth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A venomous serpent of the southern United States, a species of moccasin or Trigonocephalus: so called from a white streak along the lips.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. venomous semiaquatic snake of swamps in southern United States
From the white interior of its mouth.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
cotton + mouth (Wiktionary)