from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A quarrelsome, scolding woman; a shrew.
- adj. Shrewish; scolding.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A quarrelsome, scolding woman, especially one who is old and shrewd.
- adj. Quarrelsome and scolding or censorious; shrewish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An imaginary being supposed by the Christians to be a Moslem deity or false god. He is represented in the ancient moralities, farces, and puppet shows as extremely vociferous and tumultous.
- n. A boisterous, brawling, turbulent person; -- formerly applied to both sexes, now only to women.
- adj. Tumultuous; turbulent; boisterous; furious; quarrelsome; scolding.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. [capitalized] An imaginary deity, supposed to have been worshiped by the Mohammedans, and introduced into the moralities and other shows, in which he figured as a most violent and turbulent personage.
- n. A turbulent, brawling person, male or female.
- n. A boisterous, brawling, or turbulent woman; a shrew; a virago; a scold.
- Violent; turbulent; boisterous; quarrelsome; scolding; of women, shrewish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a scolding nagging bad-tempered woman
From Middle English Termagaunt, imaginary Muslim deity portrayed as a violent and overbearing character in medieval mystery plays, alteration of Tervagant, from Old French.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Termagant. (Wiktionary)