from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A person, especially a woman, who is meddlesome or gossipy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a woman who meddles in the business of others; a busybody; a woman gossip; a gossipmonger
- n. a matchmaker; a woman who specializes in finding spouses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Yiddish) a woman who talks too much; a gossip unable to keep a secret; a woman who spreads rumors and scandal
- n. (Yiddish) a vulgar shrew; a shallow coarse termagant
Yiddish yente, back-formation from the woman's name Yente, alteration of Yentl, from Old Italian Gentile, from gentile, amiable, highborn, from Latin gentīlis, of the same clan; see gentle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Yiddish. (Wiktionary)