from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who tattles.
- n. Any of several shore birds related to and resembling the sandpipers, especially one of the genus Heteroscelus that is noted for its loud cry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who tattles (notifies authorities of illicit behavior) or is inclined to do so; a tattletale.
- n. Either of two similar bird species in the shorebird genus Heteroscelus (Tringa in some taxonomies).
- n. A device fitted to a vehicle to measure mileage etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who tattles; an idle talker; one who tells tales.
- n. Any one of several species of large, long-legged sandpipers belonging to the genus Totanus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who tattles; an idle talker; a prattler; a telltale.
- n. In ornithology, a bird of the family Scolopacidæ and genus Totanus in a broad sense; one of the Totaneæ; a horseman or gambet: so called from the vociferous cries of most of these birds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several long-legged shorebirds having a loud whistling cry
- n. someone who gossips indiscreetly
tattle + -er (Wiktionary)