American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Being between 80 and 90 years of age.
- n. A person between 80 and 90 years of age.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Eighty years of age; also, between eighty and ninety years of age.
- n. A person eighty or eighty-odd years of age.
- n. One who is between the age of eighty and eighty-nine, inclusive.
- adj. Being between the age of 80 and 89, inclusive.
- adj. Of or relating to an octogenarian.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A person eighty years, or more, of age.
- n. someone whose age is in the eighties
- adj. being from 80 to 89 years old
- From Latin octōgēnārius ("containing eighty"); from octōgintī ("eighty") + -an (Wiktionary)
- From French octogénaire, from Latin octōgēnārius, containing eighty, from octōgēnī, eighty each, from octōgintā, eighty : octō, eight; see oktō(u) in Indo-European roots + -gintā, ten times; see dekm̥ in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“According to local press reports, the police detained Mr. Touré, better known to young Senegalese protesters and the press by his stage name, Thiat, for comments he made during a large demonstration over the weekend in which he called the octogenarian Senegalese president, Abdoulaye Wade, a liar and said he was too old to govern.”
“I wasn't sure the graying old lady could take it, particularly when a certain octogenarian came rolling to a stop near the mound.”
“Obama consulted Brzezinski for advice during his campaign, calling the octogenarian Brzezinski “one of our most outstanding scholars and thinkers” and saying that he was “someone I have learned an immense amount from.””
“Marius on that barricade after the octogenarian was the vision of the young revolution after the apparition of the old.”
“Her pseudo-marriage to the octogenarian was the worst kind of betrayal of the covenant.”
“Kirby: Her pseudo-marriage to the octogenarian was the worst kind of betrayal of the covenant.”
“Yesterday's term was fertile octogenarian, which is defined as:”
“The octogenarian is the fifth longest-serving African leader after Omar Bongo of Gabon, in power since 1967, Moamer Kadhafi of”
“Denny says it is the shape called octogenarian; because a man named Octagius invented it.”
“They are unloosed, and when the young or the middle-aged sit silent, the octogenarian is a fountain of conversation.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘octogenarian’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
antediluvian, incontrovertible, incontrovertible, gubernatorial, microanatomy, higgledy piggledy, valedictorian, lexicographical, animadversional, labiovelarize, sesquipedalian, fan-fucking-tastical and 96 more...
These are words I have overheard, or over-read, or had whispered in my ear :-)
A selection of words from the epic by Victor Hugo
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
belonging to; of; characteristic of; born in; living in; believing in; following
Looking for tweets for octogenarian.