from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The father of one's mother or father.
- n. A forefather; an ancestor.
- transitive v. To exempt (one involved in an activity or business) from new regulations: The new ordinance restricts the size of billboards, but it grandfathers those erected before 1997.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A father of someone’s parent.
- n. A male forefather.
- v. To retain existing laws or rules only for those people or organisations that were previously affected by them, and apply new laws or rules to the unaffected people or organisations.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A father's or mother's father; an ancestor immediately after the father or mother in lineal ascent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A father's or mother's father; an ancestor in the next degree above the father or mother in lineal ascent: correlative to grandson, granddaughter, and grandchild.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the father of your father or mother
For example, whereas the Hebrew phrase for my grandfather' was sav-í grandfather + 1st person singular possessive', in Israeli it is sába shel-ì grandfather of me'.
In the first book, Three Wishes, Rose, the main character, an orphan who falls into a real-life fairytale when she discovers her grandfather is a wealthy French count, starts a blog, also called Three Wishes, for an English assignment.
Your child will grow up to learn his grandfather is the guy who helped orchestrate the torture program in Amercia, destroying American credibility in the process, and who also obtained an apology from a man who he shot in the face.
Thankfully my grandfather is the kind of observant person who notices that sort of thing, had he not, it could have been very bad.
Trace – I happened to know your grandfather is an expert at his blackberry and he was only foolin with Peter.
One of the few memories I have of my grandfather is his sweet tea recipe: one scoop of powdered tea, one cup of ice, and about twenty cups of sugar, mixed in while drinking.
Synopsis: A boy goes hunting with his grandfather where he learns the truth about why his grandfather is a war hero.
I know a little, – just a tiny bit about old china and porcelains, because my grandfather is awfully interested in them and has collected quite a lot.
Your grandfather is there with many of his friends; some of them became friends of mine.
With this view Henry summoned the bishops at Westminster (1 October, 1163) to sanction certain as yet unspecified articles which he called his grandfather's customs
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.