American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The brother of one's spouse.
- n. The husband of one's sister.
- n. The husband of the sister of one's spouse.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The brother of one's husband or wife; also, one's sister's husband. For some purposes, but not all, the legal incidents of the affinity cease on the death of the one whose marriage formed the tie.
- n. A male relative of one's generation, separated by one degree of marriage:
- n. uncommon Co-brother-in-law: A male relative of one's generation, separated by two degrees of marriage:
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The brother of one's husband or wife; also, the husband of one's sister; sometimes, the husband of one's wife's sister.
- n. a brother by marriage
“Defense attorneys told jurors a different tale brimming with retribution by a spurned boss, and a rough-and-tumble shipping industry rife with what they called "brother-in-law deals" that reward fixers for arranging contracts.”
“Knowing, however, that “propriety would not permit of personal inquiry” he called his brother-in-law T.V.”
“And what's in store for Ava, who now calls brother-in-law Boyd Walton Goggins her bad-boy squeeze?”
“Pat once again called her brother-in-law Ashley Miles to see if he could help.”
“I know he will have loved the humiliation of the man he was forced to call brother-in-law.”
“Finally, we decided to call my brother-in-law, Kevin, who lives just a few minutes from us.”
“Court heard Tuesday that weeks before the deaths, Mr. Shafia called his brother-in-law to ask for help in killing Zainab.”
“T.V. also referred to his brother-in-law as a “bad administrator,” adding “what I was trying to do.… make effective use of American aid & build up economy & keep fighting inflation so that gov could have democratic institutions.”
“Catherine, now the Duchess of Cambridge, watched the parade alongside other royals, including her brother-in-law Prince Harry.”
“NBA star Steve Nash, from nearby Victoria and the brother-in-law of Canucks forward Manny Malhotra, sent a Twitter message imploring the fans to stop the violence.”
Looking for tweets for brother-in-law.