from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The brother of one's spouse.
- n. The husband of one's sister.
- n. The husband of the sister of one's spouse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A male relative of one's generation, separated by one degree of marriage:
- n. Co-brother-in-law: A male relative of one's generation, separated by two degrees of marriage:
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The brother of one's husband or wife; also, the husband of one's sister; sometimes, the husband of one's wife's sister.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The brother of one's husband or wife; also, one's sister's husband.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a brother by marriage
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Defense attorneys told jurors a different tale brimming with retribution by a spurned boss, and a rough-and-tumble shipping industry rife with what they called "brother-in-law deals" that reward fixers for arranging contracts.
Knowing, however, that “propriety would not permit of personal inquiry” he called his brother-in-law T.V.
And what's in store for Ava, who now calls brother-in-law Boyd Walton Goggins her bad-boy squeeze?
Pat once again called her brother-in-law Ashley Miles to see if he could help.
I know he will have loved the humiliation of the man he was forced to call brother-in-law.
Finally, we decided to call my brother-in-law, Kevin, who lives just a few minutes from us.
Court heard Tuesday that weeks before the deaths, Mr. Shafia called his brother-in-law to ask for help in killing Zainab.
T.V. also referred to his brother-in-law as a “bad administrator,” adding “what I was trying to do.… make effective use of American aid & build up economy & keep fighting inflation so that gov could have democratic institutions.
Catherine, now the Duchess of Cambridge, watched the parade alongside other royals, including her brother-in-law Prince Harry.
NBA star Steve Nash, from nearby Victoria and the brother-in-law of Canucks forward Manny Malhotra, sent a Twitter message imploring the fans to stop the violence.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.