from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The sister of one's spouse.
- n. The wife of one's brother.
- n. The wife of the brother of one's spouse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A female relative of one's generation, separated by one degree of marriage:
- n. Co-sister-in-law: The wife of one's sibling-in-law.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The sister of one's husband or wife; also, the wife of one's brother; sometimes, the wife of one's husband's or wife's brother.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A husband's or wife's sister; also, a brother's wife. See brother-in-law.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the sister of your spouse
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In the morning, I called my sister-in-law and told her to come back over.
I called my sister-in-law, who is an elementary school teacher, and told her what was going on.
Kevin yanks his cell phone from his pocket and calls his sister-in-law in Queens, the wife of his brother Joe.
Waldemar Ruiz had called his sister-in-law after he shot his wife with a small handgun, Hammann said.
If I think it’s necessary to bypass you and call your sister-in-law, I will.
My sister-in-law has lived in Sydney Australia for her entire adult life, 40 years now, and on a trip to visit us in Cleveland in the late 80s she went off the the Giant Eagle grocery, only to return 30 minutes later having left a basket with the manager.
My sister-in-law, in San José, California, emailed me an article about Día de Los Muertos there.
I'm emailing my childless sister-in-law this link.
My mother-in-law, sister-in-law and niece planned the whole thing and since they are masters of style, everything was gorgeous and perfect.
They are people like my sister-in-law who stopped going to visit her husband's family in Torreon even before Calderon declared war on the cartels and sent in the troops.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.