from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is loved.
- n. Used as a familiar term of endearment.
- n. Informal A person regarded as generous or lovable.
- n. Informal Something cherished for its excellent qualities.
- adj. Involving privileged treatment of a favored party; illegally or unethically favorable: "another land grab, another sweetheart deal based on political influence” ( Village Voice).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who is always very kind.
- n. A person very much liked or loved by someone, especially when both partners are young.
- n. A casual sexual partner that is exclusive to the men of one fraternity; a slam piece.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lover of mistress.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To act the part of a lover to; pay court to; gallant: as, to sweetheart a lady.
- To perform the part of a lover; act the gallant; play the wooer: as, he is going a sweethearting.
- n. A person beloved; a lover; more commonly, a girl beloved.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person loved by another person
- n. any well-liked individual
- adj. privileged treatment of a favored person or corporation (sometimes unethically)
- n. a very attractive or seductive looking woman
The word sweetheart had given her a sickening feeling.
His use of the word sweetheart nearly caused her to slap him again.
At the word sweetheart, her red lips had parted on a gasp and tears had misted her hazel eyes.
It was much approved, and my brother whispered me that the fair Geraldine, for so my Lord of Surrey calls his sweetheart, is the finest woman of the age.
We know for a fact that we've asked for information around the contracts, these special deals, what we call the sweetheart deal, and this has not been forthcoming, both from government and from Eskom itself.
Thomas severely curtailed plea bargains and what he called sweetheart deals for crimes after taking office in 2005.
Rep. Charles Rangel defiantly defended having four rent-stabilized apartments Friday as Republicans, critics and constituents railed against what they called a sweetheart deal.
Every now and then, for instance, Hanna would start up and commence a series of little flirtations with the blackbird, which she called her sweetheart, and again resume her chat and seat as before; or she would attempt to catch a butterfly as it fluttered about her, or sometimes give it pursuit over half the green, whilst Kathleen sat with laughing and delighted eyes, and a smile of unutterable sweetness on her lips, watching the success of this innocent frolic.
December 3rd, 2009 4: 53 pm ET mccain sweetheart I know you are old, but do you remember way back on November 2008?
But even so, what he has done and what he continues to do by marrying his Midland sweetheart is indefensible.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.