from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To seek the affection of with intent to romance.
- transitive v. To seek to achieve; try to gain.
- transitive v. To tempt or invite.
- transitive v. To entreat, solicit, or importune.
- intransitive v. To court a woman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- interj. Expressing joy or mirth; woohoo, yahoo.
- v. To endeavor to gain someone's support.
- v. (of a man) To try to persuade a woman to marry him.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To court; to make love.
- transitive v. To solicit in love; to court.
- transitive v. To court solicitously; to invite with importunity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To court; seek the favor, affection, or love of, especially with a view to marriage; solicit or seek in marriage.
- To solicit; sue; ask with importunity; seek to influence or persuade; invite; endeavor to prevail upon to do or to grant something.
- To seek; seek to obtain or bring about; act as if seeking to obtain or bring about.
- To court; make love; sue in love.
- To ask; seek; solicit.
- An old spelling of woe.
- n. A Scotch form of wool.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. seek someone's favor
- v. make amorous advances towards
For those who aren\'t familiar with the term, \ "woo woo\" is a derogatory reference to almost any form of unconventional thinking, aimed by professional skeptics who are self-appointed vigilantes dedicated to the suppression of curiosity.
Taylor Swift's ridiculously entertaining new album, "Speak Now," is a lengthy, captivating exercise in woo-pitching, flame tending and score-settling -- with a heavy emphasis on the latter.
Or would that depend on why the president thought he needed to dothat? woo is busy filming a shootout in a church.
I realize now it's the "want to believe" that leads viewers to believe that the woo-woo is actually happening.
Obama is an idiot but less of one then John McCain – woo hoo Go Obama – this country is going down the toilet.
The awful part about pushing the mercury woo is that parents will be afraid to vaccinate their children and autistic children will be subjected to quack "cures" like chelation.
Giving up the woo is of course expected, so no hard feelings.
What I'm referring to as woo is the tendency to drag Eastern mystical thinking in, which just adds a cloak of confusion rather than casting any light on the subject.
It is high-handed because they lump brilliant speculative thinkers into one black box known as woo woo.
The unnatural construction of these molded seats is counterproductive to scooting up close to someone and pitching woo, which is of course where the love seat got its name.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.