American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A first public appearance, as of a performer.
- n. The formal presentation of a young woman to society.
- n. The beginning of a course of action: the debut of a new foreign policy.
- v. Usage Problem To present in or make a debut.
- n. A performer's first-time performance to the public.
- v. transitive to formally introduce, as to the public
- v. intransitive to make one's initial formal appearance
- From French début, from Middle French, derivative of débuter ("to move, begin"), from dé- + but ("mark, goal"), from Old French but ("aim, goal, end, target"), from Old French butte ("mound, knoll, target"), from Frankish *but ("stump, log"), or from Old Norse bútr ("log, stump, butt"); both from Proto-Germanic *butan (“end, piece”), from Proto-Indo-European *bʰeud- (“to beat, push”). Cognate with Old English butt ("tree stump"). More at butt. (Wiktionary)
- French début, from débuter, to give the first stroke in a game, begin : dé-, from, away (from Old French de-; see de-) + but, goal, target (from Old French butte; see butt3). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The Mancy of Sound," Mr. Coleman's sharp new album with Five Elements, was released in late July; "Synastry," a chamberlike duo outing by Ms. Shyu and the bassist Mark Dresser, is due out next week; and Mr. Sorey will make his label debut as a bandleader in September, with "Oblique 1," a state-of-the-art quintet album.”
“Harper makes his label debut with "Four Aces and a Harp," featuring noted Chicago-area blues players John Primer, Willie "Big Eyes" Smith, Jimmy Burns, and Robert Stroger.”
“Katharine will make her label debut later this year.”
“Ralph Towner, guitarist extraordinaire, an ECM artist since 1972, is joined by Italian trumpet star Paolo Fresu, making his label debut for ECM.”
“Kristian Stanfill will join the sixstepsrecords family, releasing his label debut, 'Attention', in April after completing a three-month-long stint on Student Life's 2009 spring tour.”
“It might be conventional wisdom that your debut is an extraordinary time, but for me, the first book, like my first time having sex, is and was a mere prelude to the extraordinary journey to come.”
“Quiet and unassuming, this debut is as rich as the hand-woven rugs Ushman sells, with colorful descriptions and complex characters that provide a rewarding study in contrasts between the joy of love and the pain of vulnerability.”
“Increasing national popularity resulted in a nine-month residency at the once-infamous Sun City resort, where the Soweto String Quartet was discovered by BMG Records producer Grahame Beggs; their label debut, Zebra Crossing, appeared in mid 1998, followed a year later by Renaissance.”
“The Arkansas progressive rock quartet have unveiled In Medias Res, their label debut for a company they share with groups like”
“I and Love and You, their major label debut, which is due later this summer.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘debut’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
verbs Adj Adv noun
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Very basic words for ESL students.
This is a collection of words I love, old ones that I love the sound of when I repeat them for years and new ones coined in news articles on up and coming trends and technologies - most of them I k...
Looking for tweets for debut.