American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Either of two large African antelopes (Connochaetes gnou or C. taurinus) having a drooping mane and beard, a long tufted tail, and curved horns in both sexes. Also called wildebeest.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An African animal of the genus Catoblepas (or Connochætes), belonging to the antilopine division of the family Bovidæ; a wildebeest. The gnu has little of the appearance of an ordinary antelope, being a creature of singular shape, strangely combining characters which recall at once horse, ass, and ox. There art two very distinct species, the common gnu, C., gnu, and the brindled gnu, C. gorgon, sometimes generically separated under the name Gorgonia. The former stands about 4 feet high at the withers, and is about 5½ feet long; the shoulders are hunched; the neck is maned like an ass's; the tail is long and flowing like a horse's; the head is like a buffalo's, with a broad muzzle, and beset with long bristly hairs; other long hairs hang from the dewlap and between the fore legs; there are horns in both sexes, in the male massive, meeting over the poll, then curving downward and outward and again turned up at the tip, like a muskox's; the color is brownish or blackish, with much white in the tail and mane. The brindled gnu is a larger animal, striped on the fore quarters, with black tail and more copious mane; it is known as the blue wildebeest, and by the Bechuan name kokon or kokoon. Both species inhabit southerly parts of Africa, in company with zebras and quaggas, and usually go in herds like other antelopes.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) One of two species of large South African antelopes of the genus Catoblephas, having a mane and bushy tail, and curved horns in both sexes.
- n. large African antelope having a head with horns like an ox and a long tufted tail
- Taken from Nama, likely (onomatopoeia) of the grunt-type noise of the gnu. (Wiktionary)
- Probably from Dutch gnoe, from Xhosa i-ngu, white-tailed gnu, from San !nu, black wildebeest. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A gnu is not really like a dodo … But I think there’s something from dodos in gnus …”
“I am trying to build a spreadsheet application to cli, called gnu-oleo.”
“(sometimes called gnu) which look something like the American buffalo or bison, and hartebeest, stood around in a ring, looking on.”
“Black wilebeest are the most different of the various African wildebeest antelopes (aka "gnu"), different enough from the many subspecies to be counted as their own species.”
“Or use a different tool to create the tar - I just tried using Ant to create the tar file with longfile = "gnu", and the resulting tar file is readable with both Ant and Winzip.”
“gnu," from a hollow moaning sound to which these creatures sometimes give utterance, and which is represented by the word "gnoo-o-oo.”
“gnu" page. visual_effect: blind_down, form_div Now, when we click on the "Add a comment" link,”
“How empty and lifeless would Twain's prose be without words like pneumatic, knockwurst, and gnu?”
“Because while I can't say that I have seen Sir David's entire output, I think it is a reasonable bet that the veteran zoologist has never interrupted his breathy description of a big cat's hunting habits by pointing at an elderly gnu and bellowing: "Away, Leo, get up his arse, my son.”
“Letters after a name do not modify character, they are there to confuse the letterless ones, just like a magicians wand is used, to get the hoi polloi [gnu] looking the other way while getting sheered.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gnu’.
A list of common animal names. Keep the list to 1 syllable words.No scientific names. No proper names like 'Fluffy' the elephant.Insects and other creatures (even ficticious) are welcome!You can ...
...with grateful thanks to telofy (for "cnidarian"), and to the song "Crazy ABC's" by Barenaked Ladies.
'He spent the greater part of his life campaigning to have respelt those words that LOOK as though they are spelt wrongly but aren't.'
Re Otto Tibbit's father, fourteen times Scrabble champio...
I'm looking for single-word anagrams of weapon names. Your additions are welcomed. A spoilt pilot's pistol to the best submitted.
This list was born when I noticed oppugn was an anagra...
3 letter words, not the girl band.
boggle and speed scrabble would not be half as fun without them.
Words I Like
A selection of English* words ending with a vowel (except "y", "ea", ie", "ee", "oo", "ea", "ou") that is REALLY pronounced.
My favorite English words, by the way.
The good twin of The ...
Words that have funny meanings or are just fun to say.
Looking for tweets for gnu.