from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several wild goats of the genus Capra, especially C. ibex, native to mountainous regions of Eurasia and northern Africa and having long, ridged, backward-curving horns.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of wild mountain goat of the genus Capra, such as the species Capra ibex.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of several species of wild goats having very large, recurved horns, transversely ridged in front; -- called also steinbok.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A wild goat, the bouquetin, steinbok, or other species of the genus Ibex.
- n. [capitalized] A genus of ibexes, or a subgenus of Capra.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. wild goat of mountain areas of Eurasia and northern Africa having large recurved horns
Latin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin ībex ("chamois"), from Iberian or Aquitanian; akin to Old Spanish bezerro ("bull") (mod. becerro ("yearling")). (Wiktionary)