American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A pith helmet worn for protection against sun and heat.
- n. A sassaby (Damaliscus lunatus subsp. topi) of eastern Africa having a glossy dark brown coat.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In India, a hat or cap.
- n. An antelope of the species Damaliscus korrigum.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An antelope (Damaliscus corrigum jimela) having a glossy purplish brown coat. It is related to the blesbok and is native of East Africa. Also, any of various related varieties of other districts south of the Sahara.
- n. a large South African antelope; considered the swiftest hoofed mammal
- n. a lightweight hat worn in tropical countries for protection from the sun
- Hindi ṭopī, hat.Probably of Swahili origin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The American paragraphers also had fun with the word "topi," for they thought a topi was a sun hat much worn in the hot countries.”
“And above all, there seems to have been no official protest and no feeling that the abandonment of the topi was a subtle blow at white prestige.”
“Knots of smiling men, dapper in their dhaka topi hats, press their palms together to greet old friends.”
“January 17th, 2009 at 11: 26 am Said: fcuk u nepalis aka topi aka Bhaate …. did you all eat your morning bhaat?”
“In consecinta este incorect sa vorbesti despre temperatura obtinuta in laborator; iar apoi sa spui ca protonii s-ar putea "topi" este o mare bazaconie.”
“The ranger who found her told Neal what he could read from the ground, that she had cut straight through the herd, a terrible mistake, because the topi antelope were nearing the end of their rut and the hyenas, there to pick off the weaker males as they collapsed from exhaustion, were waiting for her at the crest of the hill.”
“How to earn money from blogging controversial topi ...”
“Within the St. Floris region, the most abundant large mammals seem to be kob Kobus kob, hartebeest Alcelaphus buselaphus and grey duiker Sylvicapra grimmia, with other fairly abundant ungulates including waterbuck Kobus ellipsiprymnus, oribi Ourebia ourebi, topi Damaliscus lunatus, reedbuck Redunca redunca, roan antelope Hippotragus equines and giant eland Taurotragus derbianus; also buffalo Syncerus caffer, warthog Phacochoerus aethiopicus and hippopotamus Hippopotamus amphibius.”
“Most men of substance wore the Nepali national dress, the daura suruwal, thin cotton pants that while tight against the ankles then billowed out, a dark Nehru-like jacket, and the ubiquitous topi, a pillbox hat.”
“Other uncommon animals are an isolated population of 30-40 chimpanzees Pan troglodytes schweinfurthi (E) in the southern lava field forest of Tongo, and in the north, a small relict population of okapi Okapia johnstoni (LR), topi Damaliscus korrigum (LR), forest hog Hylochoerus meinertzhageni and bongo Tragelaphus euryceros (LR); also three species of pangolin Manis spp. and the aardvark Orycteropus afer.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘topi’.
Headgear: “anything worn on the head” (that isn’t part of the head). Hats are fine, but for a more detailed, wider selection of fashionable hats in all colors and sizes, please see Reese Tee’s li...
some of these more unusual ones came from the book Nanda Devi: Exploration and Ascent
Everything hats,things with hoods,hoods,scarves,crowns,useful
adjectival forms,hat expressions,
For stuff to simply reside.
a large light-coloured antelope with curled horns. L. from an African word quoted by Pliny.
any one of a group of hollow-horned...
Looking for tweets for topi.