from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pith helmet worn for protection against sun and heat.
- n. A sassaby (Damaliscus lunatus subsp. topi) of eastern Africa having a glossy dark brown coat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An antelope of the species Damaliscus korrigum.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An antelope (Damaliscus corrigum jimela) having a glossy purplish brown coat. It is related to the blesbok and is native of East Africa. Also, any of various related varieties of other districts south of the Sahara.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In India, a hat or cap.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large South African antelope; considered the swiftest hoofed mammal
- n. a lightweight hat worn in tropical countries for protection from the sun
Hindi ṭopī, hat.
Probably of Swahili origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)