from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large antelope (Oryx gazella) of arid regions of southern Africa, having long sharp straight horns, a tufted tail, and distinctive black and white markings on the head.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large African antelope of the Oryx genus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A South African antelope (Oryx Capensis), having long, sharp, nearly straight horns.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The South African oryx, Oryx capensis, a fine large antelope of the group Oryginæ, especially abundant in the Kalahari desert and Damaraland.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large South African oryx with a broad black band along its flanks
Afrikaans, from Dutch, from German Gemsbock : Gemse, chamois (from Middle High German gemeze, from Old High German *gamiza, from Late Latin camox) + Bock, buck (from Middle High German boc, from Old High German).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Dutch gems ("chamois") + bok ("buck"). (Wiktionary)