American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A word or phrase formed by reordering the letters of another word or phrase, such as satin to stain.
- n. A game in which players form words from a group of randomly picked letters.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A transposition of the letters of a word or sentence, to form a new word or sentence: thus, Galenus is an anagram of angelus. Dr. Burney's anagram of Horatio Nelson is one of the happiest, Honor ext a Nilo (Honor is from the Nile).
- n. A word formed by reading the letters of one or more words backward; a palindrome: thus, evil is an anagram of live.
- To form into an anagram.
- n. of words A word or phrase that is created by rearranging the letters of another word or phrase.
- v. To form anagrams.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Literally, the letters of a word read backwards, but in its usual wider sense, the change of one word or phrase into another by the transposition of its letters. Thus
Galenusbecomes angelus; William Noy(attorney-general to Charles I., and a laborious man) may be turned into I moyl in law.
- v. To anagrammatize.
- n. a word or phrase spelled by rearranging the letters of another word or phrase
- v. read letters out of order to discover a hidden meaning
- Late 16th century, from French anagramme, formed on Greek ἀνά (ana, "up, back") + γράμμα (gramma, "letter"). (Wiktionary)
- New Latin anagramma, from Greek anagrammatismos, from anagrammatizein, to rearrange letters in a word : ana-, from bottom to top; see ana- + gramma, grammat-, letter; see gerbh- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Oh, Humbert Humbert anagram is Hmm, the brute rub!”
“Mittelos was probably chosen as a name for the front biolab because the anagram is “lost time” and little else.”
“Has anyone figured out what the third anagram is from the finalï¿½????”
“In Rouen, the queens of hearts, diamonds and clubs were Rachel, mother of Joseph; Argine, an anagram of regina, the Latin word for queen; and Judith, of the Old Testament.”
“There are 31 actors' and actresses' surnames in this poem, including one full name anagram in the first verse.”
“Parliament, under the name of ‘The Senate of Lilliput,’ sometimes with feigned denominations of the several speakers, sometimes with denominations formed of the letters of their real names, in the manner of what is called anagram, so that they might easily be decyphered.”
“What we certainly know to have been done by him in this way, was the Debates in both houses of Parliament, under the name of 'The Senate of Lilliput,' sometimes with feigned denominations of the several speakers, sometimes with denominations formed of the letters of their real names, in the manner of what is called anagram, so that they might easily be decyphered.”
“Parliament, under the name of 'The Senate of Lilliput,' sometimes with feigned denominations of the several speakers, sometimes with denominations formed of the letters of their real names, in the manner of what is called anagram, so that they might easily be decyphered.”
“It was the poet André Breton - who led the expulsion of Dalí from the Paris Surrealist group in 1934, prompting Dalí to retort "I myself am surrealism" - who coined the anagram”
“At the time of writing Moore said: '' I was inspired by the idea of an anagram, which is the rearrangement of characters to make a new word.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘anagram’.
A list of words which yield surprising, beautiful, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy images here on Wordnik.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Words with definitions that contain the word "literally."
up; back; again
My ambition is to build a list with the names for
1. ALL types of word formation
2. the words put together by 1.
using a strict definition: e.g. "antonym", "aptronym" "palindrom...
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
List of most of the words I've learned
Basically it's just mikeropology's words, but with his username turned into an adjectivally splendid list name.
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
Looking for tweets for anagram.