from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A reference from one part of a book, index, catalog, or file to another part containing related information.
- transitive v. To provide with cross-references.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A reference or direction in one place in a book or other source of information to information at another place in the same work
- v. To provide something with a cross-reference
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a reference at one place in a work to information at another place in the same work.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A reference in a book to another title, phrase, or passage in it for further treatment or elucidation of a subject.
- To relegate or refer by a cross-reference; provide with cross-references.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reference at one place in a work to information at another place in the same work
Sorry, no etymologies found.