from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To index (a particular item) under more than one heading.
- transitive v. To furnish (an index in a book, for example) with cross-references.
- intransitive v. To furnish cross-references.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a reference at one place in a work to information at another place in the same work.
- transitive v. to provide cross-references in (a book or other document).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reference at one place in a work to information at another place in the same work
- v. make an index that refers from one point to the next
Sorry, no etymologies found.