American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A riddle in which a fanciful question is answered by a pun.
- n. A paradoxical, insoluble, or difficult problem; a dilemma: "the conundrum, thus far unanswered, of achieving full employment without inflation” ( Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.)
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A conceit; a device; a hoax.
- n. A riddle in which some odd resemblance is proposed for discovery between things quite unlike, or some odd difference between similar things, the answer often involving a pun.
- n. A difficult question or riddle, especially one using a play on words in the answer.
- n. A difficult choice or decision that must be made.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A kind of riddle based upon some fanciful or fantastic resemblance between things quite unlike; a puzzling question, of which the answer is or involves a pun.
- n. A question to which only a conjectural answer can be made.
- n. a difficult problem
- A word of unknown origin, probably coined in burlesque imitation of scholastic Latin, as “hocus-pocus” or “panjandrum.” (Wiktionary)
- Origin unknown. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This conundrum is as old as Ardipithicus – 4. 4million years old.”
“More broadly, a conundrum is any problem where the answer is very complex, possibly unsolvable without deep investigation.”
“We ran into what we called the conundrum," he said.”
“Ancelotti poses a title conundrum as the race hots up”
“The global forex conundrum is morphing into a trade dilemma of sorts.”
“McDonnell's conundrum is that changing the complex proposal to satisfy one group is likely to cost support from another.”
“The very conundrum is a sign of how far this nation sunk. mikey Says:”
“Alas, this conundrum is inevitable and cannot be ignored.”
“At the heart of that conundrum is the affection she feels for both her earthly love, David, and the deliciously different Tam.”
“The second, more enduring, conundrum, is why Kelly is doing as well as he is.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘conundrum’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
grabbable, retuiteando, leaving, fantastic, absolutely, kurwa, hella, ridic, underpass, hate, interlude, plush and 2369 more...
My list of words.
Looking for tweets for conundrum.