from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A state of uncertainty or perplexity. See Synonyms at predicament.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A state of not knowing what to decide; a state of difficulty or perplexity; a state of uncertainty, hesitation or puzzlement; a pickle; a predicament.
- n. A dilemma, a difficult decision or choice.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A state of difficulty or perplexity; doubt; uncertainty.
- transitive v. To bring into a state of uncertainty, perplexity, or difficulty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A state of difficulty or perplexity; a state of uncertainty, hesitation, or puzzlement; a pickle; a predicament.
- To put into a quandary; bring into a state of uncertainty or difficulty.
- To be in a difficulty or uncertainty; hesitate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. state of uncertainty or perplexity especially as requiring a choice between equally unfavorable options
- n. a situation from which extrication is difficult especially an unpleasant or trying one
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
16th century. Origin unknown; perhaps a dialectal corruption (simulating a word of Latin origin with suffix -ary) of wandreth ("evil, plight, peril, adversity, difficulty"), from Middle English wandreth, from Old Norse vandræði ("difficulty, trouble"), from vandr ("difficult, requiring pains and care"). (Wiktionary)