from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To put at a loss as to what to think, say, or do; bewilder.
- n. A state of perplexity, confusion, or bewilderment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A state of perplexity or bewilderment.
- v. to perplex or bewilder someone; to confound or flummox
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A state or condition which baffles reason or confounds judgment; insuperable difficulty; inability to proceed or decide; puzzle; quandary.
- transitive v. To puzzle; to confound; to perplex; to cause to stop by embarrassment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A state in which one is unable to proceed or decide; a state of perplexity; a puzzled condition; inability to say or do more; puzzle: usually in the phrase at or to a nonplus.
- To perplex; puzzle; confound; put to a standstill; stop by embarrassment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. be a mystery or bewildering to
From Latin nōn plūs, no more : nōn, not; see non- + plūs, more; see pelə-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin nōn plūs ("no more, no further") (Wiktionary)