American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To upset the self-possession of; ruffle. See Synonyms at embarrass.
- v. To frustrate (plans, for example) by throwing into disorder; disarrange.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To throw into disorder or confusion; come in the way of; disarrange; obstruct.
- To unsettle the mind of; discompose; disturb the self-possession of; confuse.
- Synonyms To ruffle. See list under discompose.
- n. Disunion; disagreement; disconcertment.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To break up the harmonious progress of; to throw into disorder or confusion.
- v. To confuse the faculties of; to disturb the composure of; to discompose; to abash.
- n. Want of concert; disagreement.
- v. cause to lose one's composure
- v. cause to feel embarrassment
- From French disconcerter, an alteration of Middle French desconcerter, itself from des- 'dis' (from Middle French dis-)+ concerter 'to bring into agreement, organize' (Wiktionary)
- Obsolete French disconcerter, from Old French desconcerter : des-, dis- + concerter, to bring into agreement (from Old Italian concertare; see concert). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Some of our findings will irk the deeply religious reader, while others will disconcert the deeply secular.”
“See Hot Air for more, including a link to the actual language and a reminder that the Democrats never had any intention of doing anything at all to disconcert trial lawyers.”
“My sounds seemed momentarily to disconcert the boar, and while he halted and shifted his weight with indecision, an apparition burst upon us.”
“A rock, turning under his foot on the edge of the precipice, did not disconcert him.”
“And, besides, it's such good fun to see how one virtuous man can so disconcert you captains of industry and arbiters of destiny.”
“• Changes at News International, where James Murdoch, discombobulated perhaps by the phone-hacking revelations, devises new ways to disconcert his underlings.”
“Its emotional depths may disconcert some of his huge fan base, but also give them unexpected pleasure.”
“How To Dress well hit the bulls-eye when he turned Ready For The World's "Love You Down" into an ethereal haze of mutant beats and chilling vocal samples that will make your cat stand up in disconcert.”
“It may disconcert the prevailing image of Jefferson the empiricist to observe that he also devoted his life to a religious project.”
“Perhaps he had simply made that remark to disconcert me?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘disconcert’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Key words from "The Training of a Public Speaker" by Grenville Kleiser (New York and London, 1920)
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
My list of words.
List of most of the words I've learned
ahh these hurt.....
Looking for tweets for disconcert.