American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Rudely brief or abrupt, as in speech or manner. See Synonyms at gruff.
- adj. Using few words; terse.
- adj. Having been shortened.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Short; concise; compressed.
- Short and dry; tartly abrupt; brusk.
- A contraction of current: common in acct. curt., account current.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Characterized by excessive brevity; short; rudely concise.
- adj. brief and to the point; effectively cut short
- adj. marked by rude or peremptory shortness
- From the Latin curtus ("shortened"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, short, brief, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin curtus; see sker-1 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He said little of himself, but as he went on in short, curt sentences the picture grew more distinct, and to Virginia the man became more and more prominent in it.”
“Loder talked continuously, sometimes in short, curt sentences, sometimes with ironic touches of humor; he talked until”
“He would speak a curt farewell and step out of the lives of the two.”
“Another German "fashion", the way they go about things, could be described as curt, without hesitation, and always adequate.”
“you know curt, that is the trouble reviewing stuff nobody does first.”
“Unless they actually meant to be 'curt' to someone, like actually being rude to customers ...”
“I mind well enough, I reckon," I said, kind of curt-like.”
“Ling Chu, his impassive Chinese servant, had observed those symptoms of perplexity before, but now there was something new in his master's demeanour -- a kind of curt irritation, an anxiety which in the Hunter of”
“I remember one woman had a journey where the plants were smoking cigarettes and were kind of curt with her.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘curt’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
Given names that were acceptable for play the last time I checked the OWL.
List of most of the words I've learned
My big word list.
she's such a joy.
does what it says on the tin, and is severely needed.
Just another arbitrary list of words that come up for me today, June 20 2007
Looking for tweets for curt.