from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by aphorisms; aphoristic: gnomic verse; a gnomic style.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to gnomes.
- adj. Mysterious and often incomprehensible yet seemingly wise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Sententious; uttering or containing maxims, or striking detached thoughts; aphoristic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Containing or dealing in maxims; sententious.
- In grammar, used in maxims or general statements; applied to express a universal truth: as, a gnomic aorist.
- A contracted form of gnomonic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or containing gnomes
Sorry, no etymologies found.