American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Abrupt and curt in manner or speech; discourteously blunt. See Synonyms at gruff.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- adj. Rudely abrupt, unfriendly.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Rough and prompt in manner; blunt; abrupt; bluff.
- adj. marked by rude or peremptory shortness
- From French brusque, from Italian brusco ("rude, sharp, sour"); origin unknown. (Wiktionary)
- French, lively, fierce, from Italian brusco, coarse, rough, from Late Latin brūscum, perhaps blend of Latin rūscus, butcher's broom, and Late Latin brūcus, heather; see briar1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I suppose there would be no objection to the match if they do care for each other,' said Mrs. Wrottesley, in a manner that was often called brusque and had served to make her unpopular.”
“His abord and behaviour answered extremely well the idea M. d'Arblay had given us of him, who in the word brusque rather meant unpolished in manners than harsh in character.”
“He ischaracterized as brusque, taciturn, and often short-tempered demeanor.”
“Service at Pfaffen could be charitably called brusque, and our waiter at zur Malzmühle was certainly cool.”
“Hard liquor is on the drink menu but the brusque is the draw, with nearly 30 brews poured.”
“Britain - another would recall brusque, high-handed rudeness.”
“Mike's a she, the sixty-something widow of a military officer, Jewish, kind of brusque, but I like her.”
“Clooney criticizes Pope Benedict XVI for being too "brusque" about Islam, to borrow the term the Pope used for the words of the Byzantine emperor he quoted.”
“Very fast, or "brusque," foreign-exchange movements can be unwelcome, Mr. Bini Smaghi said.”
“There is a kind of brusque humor in his address, a downright heartiness, which reminds one of western character.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘brusque’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words relating to Conversation
That which is disqualified.
I enjoy collecting words, for I have no fear of them ever running out.
U Gotta Know These.......
List of most of the words I've learned
Looking for tweets for brusque.