from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having, resembling, or being a crust.
- adj. Rough or surly in manner. See Synonyms at gruff.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to or having a crust, as, for example, in the case of bread.
- adj. Short-tempered and gruff but, sometimes, with a harmless or benign inner nature; peevish, surly, harsh.
- n. A tramp or homeless young person with poor cleanliness.
- n. Dried eye mucus.
- n. A member of an urban subculture with roots in punk and grebo, characterized by antiestablishment attitudes and an unkempt appearance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the nature of crust; pertaining to a hard covering.
- adj. Having a hard exterior, or a short, rough manner, though kind at heart; snappish; peevish; surly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like crust; of the nature of crust; hard: as, a crusty surface or substance.
- Peevish; snappish; surly; harshly curt in manner or speech.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. brusque and surly and forbidding
- adj. having a hardened crust as a covering
From Middle English, equivalent to crust + -y. (Wiktionary)