from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having, resembling, or being a crust.
- adj. Rough or surly in manner. See Synonyms at gruff.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to or having a crust, as, for example, in the case of bread.
- adj. Short-tempered and gruff but, sometimes, with a harmless or benign inner nature; peevish, surly, harsh.
- n. A tramp or homeless young person with poor cleanliness.
- n. Dried eye mucus.
- n. A member of an urban subculture with roots in punk and grebo, characterized by antiestablishment attitudes and an unkempt appearance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the nature of crust; pertaining to a hard covering.
- adj. Having a hard exterior, or a short, rough manner, though kind at heart; snappish; peevish; surly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like crust; of the nature of crust; hard: as, a crusty surface or substance.
- Peevish; snappish; surly; harshly curt in manner or speech.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. brusque and surly and forbidding
- adj. having a hardened crust as a covering
Selig, crusty from the criticism that surrounds his decision, stuck with his position that there were no other choices.
A fondue is a delicious way to while away a cold winter evening ... huddled around a pot of molten cheese, dipping in crusty bread and potato wedges.
Admit it, it’s a pretty name—at least when it’s not modified by the word crusty.
In Persian restaurants, they call the crusty bits "ta-dig" rather than kazmag.
It's described as crusty and stiff and bleached out.
That Thoreau gave the impression of being what country folk call a crusty person -- curt and forbidding in manner -- seems pretty well established.
An avuncular, cane-carrying figure who suffered from chronic asthma and a muscle disorder, Eagleburger was a heavy smoker known as crusty, charming and wisecracking.
If you've been wooed by a cyberstalker, this profile will bring you back to reality: lives in a 1-room apartment which hasn't been cleaned for months - if ever has stacks of pornographic magazines in his bedroom area has poor personal hygiene has poor table manners has poor social etiquette hasn't changed the sheets on his bed for months, which are now best described as crusty has a bathroom, the state of which doesn't bear thinking about lives on pizza and beer / coke, the remnants of which litter his apartment may have an unusual pet (e.g. ferret) which has free run of the apartment is either significantly over - or under-weight has a small moustache or other facial hair has not held down any job for more than a couple of years, probably less has no friends has no life outside the Internet
Thoreau was seen as this kind of crusty Yankee, and then he was seen as this civil disobedience hero and this environmental prophet, all of which are true.
Sure, the app store is picky and Steve Jobs can be kind of crusty, but how else would college students ever spend time with their dorm-mates without those dozens of iPhoto filters?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.