from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not required or requested; unwanted: uncalled-for suggestions.
- adj. Not justified or deserved; unwarranted: uncalled-for rudeness.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Unwanted; not requested or required.
- adj. Unwarranted, disproportionate, or inappropriate; not deserved or justified, especially when rude or offensive.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not called for; not required or needed; improper; gratuitous; wanton.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not required or requested
- adj. unnecessary and unwarranted
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The bean version makes a much better one pot meal -- I did not add any uncalled-for garnishes and the soup was plenty filling.
I must say that although I too would prefer to get an auto-acknowledgement of receipt for e-mail queries just so I know they've arrived, most of the agent-directed vitriol JL discusses I (as an unpubbed writer) also found jaw-droppingly uncalled-for.
It is amazing to read such rude and uncalled-for comments about Sarah Palin by so many people who forget their manners.
It was an uncalled-for sexist attack on who and what she was as a person and a professional.
Cheryl giving him 24 hours to leave the house seemed pretty uncalled-for too.
When he emerged into the drying zone and opened his eyes, he was a new man, no longer sullen and brooding over the uncalled-for insult to his manhood.
At the best, in her most charitable frame of mind, she considered the statement of his views to be a caprice, an erratic and uncalled-for prank.
(However, the intrusion of the narrator in the second paragraph was uncalled-for, and should never happen again).
The latest attempt to offer an explanation for uncalled-for behaviour was posted at around 4.45pm last night on Arsenal's official website.
They applauded with what now seems to me uncalled-for fervor, but then!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.