American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having or furnished with a back or backing. Often used in combination: a low-backed chair; a high-backed sofa.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In composition, having a back (with the quality or characteristic noted in the first part of the word): as, a high-backed chair; hump-backed; broad-backed.
- In archery, having the back made of a separate piece from the belly: said of a bow. See bow.
- adj. obsolete, slang Dead; put on one's back.
- adj. in combination Having specified type of back.
- adj. in combination Having specified type of backing.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of back.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having a back; fitted with a back. Used in composition.
- adj. used of film that is coated on the side opposite the emulsion with a substance to absorb light
- adj. having a back or backing, usually of a specified type
- From back (noun) + -ed (Wiktionary)
“Now officials are looking to apply it to other markets, such as those for securities backed by commercial real-estate loans and "private label" mortgages that aren't tied to the big U. S.-backed mortgage finance firms Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.”
“A U. N.-backed war-crimes tribunal is now going after alleged war criminals -- most recently Taylor himself, indicted last month on charges that he'd backed drug-crazed guerrillas in return for access to rebel-dug Sierra Leonean diamonds.”
“Now, Lebanon's western backed, U. S.-backed prime minister, has called this nothing short of a coup.”
“That puts them quite a bit ahead of the alliance backed by the, or, rather, the alliance headed by the U. S.-backed interim prime minister, Ayad Allawi.”
“It became a proxy battle of the Cold War, with the Marxist government backed by Cuba and the former Soviet Union facing off with South African - and U. S.-backed UNITA.”
“Dolorfino said the 30-man marine platoon was backed by other troops deployed to block the escape of the militants from their encampment on Jolo, where the militants have operated for years despite a U. S.-backed military campaign against them.”
“He said the 30-man marine platoon was backed by other troops deployed to block the escape of the militants from their encampment on Jolo, where the militants have operated for years despite a U. S.-backed military campaign against them.”
“Prosecutors at the U. N.-backed court say he backed Sierra Leone rebels to help gain control of the neighboring country and strip it of its vast mineral wealth.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘backed’.
backache to backyard
Words in which the second letter is A
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Looking for tweets for backed.