from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having or furnished with a back or backing. Often used in combination: a low-backed chair; a high-backed sofa.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Dead; put on one's back.
- adj. Having specified type of back.
- adj. Having specified type of backing.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of back.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having a back; fitted with a back. Used in composition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In composition, having a back (with the quality or characteristic noted in the first part of the word): as, a high-backed chair; hump-backed; broad-backed.
- In archery, having the back made of a separate piece from the belly: said of a bow. See bow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. used of film that is coated on the side opposite the emulsion with a substance to absorb light
- adj. having a back or backing, usually of a specified type
Now officials are looking to apply it to other markets, such as those for securities backed by commercial real-estate loans and "private label" mortgages that aren't tied to the big U. S.-backed mortgage finance firms Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
A U. N.-backed war-crimes tribunal is now going after alleged war criminals -- most recently Taylor himself, indicted last month on charges that he'd backed drug-crazed guerrillas in return for access to rebel-dug Sierra Leonean diamonds.
Now, Lebanon's western backed, U. S.-backed prime minister, has called this nothing short of a coup.
That puts them quite a bit ahead of the alliance backed by the, or, rather, the alliance headed by the U. S.-backed interim prime minister, Ayad Allawi.
It became a proxy battle of the Cold War, with the Marxist government backed by Cuba and the former Soviet Union facing off with South African - and U. S.-backed UNITA.
Dolorfino said the 30-man marine platoon was backed by other troops deployed to block the escape of the militants from their encampment on Jolo, where the militants have operated for years despite a U. S.-backed military campaign against them.
He said the 30-man marine platoon was backed by other troops deployed to block the escape of the militants from their encampment on Jolo, where the militants have operated for years despite a U. S.-backed military campaign against them.
Hamas thus became a self-sustaining, popularly backed movement that emerged as a very real threat to Israel, to the extent that any such movement could be a threat to the well-armed and U. S.-backed Zionist state.
Prosecutors at the U. N.-backed court say he backed Sierra Leone rebels to help gain control of the neighboring country and strip it of its vast mineral wealth.
Abbas has backed Washington's peace efforts, and today's raid underscored his determination to rein in militants as part of his obligations under the U. S.-backed '' road map '' peace plan.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.