from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A formal agreement, such as one between nations; a treaty.
- n. A compact; a bargain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An agreement; a compact; a covenant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An agreement; a league; a compact; a covenant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An agreement; a compact.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a written agreement between two states or sovereigns
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin pactum, from neuter sing. past participle of pacīscī, to agree; see pag- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin pactum ("something agreed upon"), from paciscere ("to agree"). (Wiktionary)