from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make into law: Congress enacted a tax reform bill.
- transitive v. To act (something) out, as on a stage: enacted the part of the parent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to make (a bill) into law
- v. to act the part of; to play
- v. to do; to effect
- n. purpose; determination
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Purpose; determination.
- transitive v. To decree; to establish by legal and authoritative act; to make into a law; especially, to perform the legislative act with reference to (a bill) which gives it the validity of law.
- transitive v. To act; to perform; to do; to effect.
- transitive v. To act the part of; to represent; to play.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To decree; establish by the will of the supreme power; pass into a statute or established law; specifically, to perform the last act of a legislature to, as a bill, giving it validity as a law; give sanction to, as a bill.
- To act; perform; effect.
- To act the part of; represent on or as on the stage.
- n. An enactment; an act.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. order by virtue of superior authority; decree
- v. act out; represent or perform as if in a play
The policy Kentucky needs to enact is one in which prisoners are able to worship the religion they choose, even Satanism, and Kentucky need not restrict the prisoners of their fundamental right of freedom of religion according to the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
Just as the power to enact is the power to repeal.
But that would require a constitutional amendment to enact, which is a difficult process.
Let me ask you, can McCain do you think successfully win over evangelicals while he's trying to kind of enact this dual strategy of also targeting moderate voters and independents?
Let me ask you: can McCain, do you think, successfully win over evangelicals while he's trying to kind of enact this dual strategy of targeting moderate voters and independents?
Dems must listen to the populist anger about Wall Street and enact stringent financial reforms.
One example could be to enact a business deduction to offset any increase in an employer's contribution to the unemployment insurance trust fund caused by expanding the eligibility criteria.
The effort to reduce accidents caused by distracted driving has gained momentum across the nation, according to a report issued Tuesday, as states enact stronger laws against texting and cellphone use and push to create greater public awareness.
The most effective step it could take would be to enact a use-it-or-lose-it rule for licensees.
The new policy report, "Strengthening Clean Energy Competitiveness: Opportunities for America COMPETES Reauthorization," recommends that Congress enact several measures to keep the U.S. competitive in the face of aggressive challenges from abroad.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.