American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To represent in a picture or sculpture.
- v. To represent in words; describe. See Synonyms at represent.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To portray; paint; form a likeness of in colors: as, to depict a lion on a shield.
- To portray in words; describe: as, to depict the horrors of war.
- Synonyms To delineate, sketch, set forth.
- In mathematics, to represent; map.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To form a colored likeness of; to represent by a picture; to paint; to portray.
- v. To represent in words; to describe vividly.
- v. give a description of
- v. make a portrait of
- v. show in, or as in, a picture
- Middle English depicten, from Latin dēpingere, dēpict- : dē-, de- + pingere, to picture; see peig- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The world I'm trying to depict is strange, unfamiliar, beautiful, exciting - but above all, it's real.”
“No, what they depict is what was described and the children's interpretation that it was the Holy Father.”
“What these Twenty Poems of Love and One Ode of Desperation depict is the meeting between two people's desolation in the shadow of destruction, and in the next major work, Residence on Earth, he is still "alone among shifting matter".”
“To this system of procuring, under great risks and at almost any cost, faithful representations of the scenes we propose to depict, is due the greater part of the favour by which the Illustrated London News is received by the public.”
“Kanjo said Thursday some of the coins depict Alexander on one side and the Greek god Zeus on the other.”
“Roymans disclosed that both the gold and silver coins depict triple spirals on the obverse, a common Celtic symbol.”
“The gold and silver coins depict the king protea, South Africa's national flower.”
“The "Mandleve" coin depicts the tag-eared elephant's head and the other coins depict the head of their respective animals on their common obverse.”
“I went to the door, but would go no farther; but in the ten minutes I stood there, I heard him in graphic and forcible terms depict the misery of the drunkard and the awful consequences of his conduct, both as they affected himself and those connected with him.”
“In the most significant change to U.S. cigarette packs in 25 years, the FDA's the new warning labels depict in graphic detail the negative health effects of tobacco use.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘depict’.
The words on this list SAT regulars that I haven't sorted and grouped yet. It's like my wordy holding pen. get it? holding the pen to write a word? HA! I love how lame my humor is.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
SAS Gr. 7 EAL Book Read
words i need to memorize
My big word list.
verbs Adj Adv noun
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for depict.