from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To represent in a picture or sculpture.
- transitive v. To represent in words; describe. See Synonyms at represent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To render a representation of something, using words, sounds, images, or other means.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To form a colored likeness of; to represent by a picture; to paint; to portray.
- transitive v. To represent in words; to describe vividly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To portray; paint; form a likeness of in colors: as, to depict a lion on a shield.
- To portray in words; describe: as, to depict the horrors of war.
- Synonyms To delineate, sketch, set forth.
- In mathematics, to represent; map.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give a description of
- v. make a portrait of
- v. show in, or as in, a picture
Middle English depicten, from Latin dēpingere, dēpict- : dē-, de- + pingere, to picture; see peig- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)