from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stick of colored wax, charcoal, or chalk, used for drawing.
- n. A drawing made with one of these sticks.
- transitive v. To draw, color, or decorate with a stick of colored wax, charcoal, or chalk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A stick of colored chalk or wax used for drawing.
- v. To draw with a crayon.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An implement for drawing, made of clay and plumbago, or of some preparation of chalk, usually sold in small prisms or cylinders.
- n. A crayon drawing.
- n. A pencil of carbon used in producing electric light.
- transitive v. To sketch, as with a crayon; to sketch or plan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pencil-shaped piece of colored clay, chalk, or charcoal, used for drawing upon paper.
- n. A pencil made of a composition of soap, resin, wax, and lampblack, used for drawing upon lithographic stones.
- n. One of the carbon-points in an electric lamp.
- Drawn with crayons: as, a crayon sketch.
- To sketch or draw with a crayon.
- Hence To sketch in general; plan; commit to paper one's first thoughts.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. writing implement consisting of a colored stick of composition wax used for writing and drawing
- v. write, draw, or trace with a crayon
French, diminutive of craie, chalk, from Latin crēta.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French crayon ("pencil"). (Wiktionary)