from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A material similar to thick, stiff paper, that is made of pressed paper pulp or pasted sheets of paper. It is used for making cartons and signs, for example.
- adj. Made of or consisting of cardboard.
- adj. Flimsy; insubstantial.
- adj. Lacking depth; superficial: a movie with only cardboard caricatures of its historical subjects.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A wood-based material resembling heavy paper, used in the manufacture of boxes and signs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stiff compact pasteboard of various qualities, for making cards, etc., often having a polished surface.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A stiff kind of paper made by pasting together two or more thicknesses of paper, drying and pressing; a thin pasteboard.
- n. A thin board, with a short handle, 5 inches wide and 12 inches long, to which is fastened card-clothing for carding wool, cotton, and the like by hand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. without substance
- n. a stiff moderately thick paper
Barbara Olson, a passenger aboard the airliner doomed to be crashed into the Pentagon, was able to telephone her husband, Solicitor General Ted Olson; she told him that the hijackers were armed with knives and what she called a cardboard cutter .
I followed and found the short, bearded lineman cursing at a cup of what I call cardboard coffee that had spilled over his fingers while he was trying to wrest it from the machine.
We have people living in cardboard boxes and starving to death and little kids crying out for homes and families and these people are worried about a housefly!!!!
Toys come in cardboard boxes with nice plastic window-fronts that let perusers see the contents laid out in a way that is aesthetically pleasing, if not actually practical.
Several months later while visiting his office he gave me a plain cardboard box, on the outside was a shipping lable from Montana Rifle Company.
Maybe so but the cardboard is designed to withstand 140mph winds and when Hurricane Ike passed over the top of my house 16 months ago with 100mph winds, I slept through it and lost but a few shingles and a few tree limbs and a wooden fence.
Wilson said she started out with a plain cardboard sign that said, simply, "I need a job, please take my resumé," but she has since upgraded to a white posterboard with a more attention-grabbing declaration: "Scariest Halloween Costume: Mother of 2 and Unemployed."
Wilson said she started out with a plain cardboard sign that said, simply, "I need a job, please take my resumÃ©," but she has since upgraded to a white posterboard with a more attention-grabbing declaration: "Scariest Halloween Costume: Mother of 2 and Unemployed."
The cardboard is the lazy woman's way of getting rid of the grass underneath.
Why people still destroy the very essence of hamburgerdom by cookiing hamburger meat to the consistency of cardboard is beyond fathoming.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.