from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The dressed or tanned hide of an animal, usually with the hair removed.
- n. Any of various articles or parts made of dressed or tanned hide, such as a boot or strap.
- n. The flap of a dog's ear.
- transitive v. To cover wholly or in part with the dressed or tanned hide of an animal.
- transitive v. Informal To beat with a strap made of hide.
- adj. Made of, relating to, or resembling dressed or tanned animal hide.
- adj. Slang Of, relating to, or patronized by people who dress in leather clothing primarily to indicate a preference for sadomasochistic sex: leather types; a leather bar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tough material produced from the skin of animals, by tanning or similar process, used e.g. for clothing.
- n. A piece of the above used for polishing.
- n. A cricket ball or football.
- n. clothing made from the skin of animals, often worn by motorcycle riders.
- n. A good defensive play
- adj. Made of leather.
- adj. Referring to one who wears leather clothing (motorcycle jacket, chaps over 501 jeans, boots), especially as a sign of sadomasochistic homosexuality.
- v. To cover with leather.
- v. To strike forcefully.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to or made of leather; consisting of leather.
- n. The skin of an animal, or some part of such skin, with the hair removed, and tanned, tawed, or otherwise dressed for use; also, dressed hides, collectively.
- n. The skin.
- transitive v. To beat, as with a thong of leather.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The tanned, tawed, or otherwise dressed skin of an animal; dressed hides or skins collectively.
- n. Human skin.
- n. A round piece, of tanned hide on the end of a fish-hook, designed to keep the bait from sliding up on the line.
- n. The loose hanging part of a dog's ear.
- n. Leather finished for use without artificial coloring, as that of which shoes are made for use in hot weather.
- n. Hence— Leather slightly colored, tinged red or yellowish-brown, for use in the same way.
- Consisting of leather; leathern: as, a leather glove.
- To furnish with leather; apply leather to; form into leather; tan.
- To beat or thrash with or as with a thong of leather.
- To beat; strike.
- n. In cricket, the ball.
- n. plural Wearing-apparel made of leather, as breeches, leggings, etc.
- n. One who wears ‘leathers.’
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. whip with a leather strap
- n. an animal skin made smooth and flexible by removing the hair and then tanning
But there's a much better sort of leather than that for Bible binding; I mean _shoe leather_.
I hoof it over to the platform as the second contestant, a black Elvis dressed all in leather, is singing “All Shook Up”.
Blue with blue, and brown with brown, but the leather is all brown – no blue leather here.
Plus, today, the balls are harder, they're wound tighter, and I'm sure the leather is a little thinner.
Also, I think I've seen their president in "leather" shoes stepping out of a vehicle with "leather" interior.
I don't think sexy Kate in leather is gonna make it past THOSE OLD BOYS!) and carrying the words BAD or DEVIL in the title is unworthy of consumption.
With her long blonde hair, micro-dresses that may incite the prurient to hope for an occasional fleeting glimpse of her underwear and photographs on her book jackets of her in leather dresses, arms akimbo, like a stern but voluptuous school mistress, she is not, as Mr. Moore wrote, “faux glam.”
People had to eat stuff that they would never eat in normal life, like making soups of leather boots (because leather is of animal origin) or boiling the wallpaper because the glue with which they were attached to walls contained a bit of organic stuff.
Would that be in leather, Sheila or perhaps the prefered Whore-House Red?
Part two, which was shot just north of Dallas, finds Bruno appearing on a Jerry Springer - style talk show in leather pants, looking for Mr. Right.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.