American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The skin of a pig.
- n. Leather made from the skin of a pig.
- n. Sports A football.
- n. Informal A saddle.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The skin of a pig, especially when prepared for saddlery, binding, or other purposes.
- n. A saddle.
- n. A foot-ball.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The skin of a pig, -- used chiefly for making saddles; hence, a colloquial or slang term for a saddle.
- n. colloq. A football; -- so called because the covering is often made of pigskin.
- n. leather from the skin of swine
- The American (US) football is a direct descendant of the ball used in the game of rugby. The rugby ball originally was made of a pig's bladder with a leather cover; the earliest versions of the leather exterior sometimes were made of pigskin. (Wiktionary)
“-0/+14So this is where the term pigskin came from.”
“, -0/+14So this is where the term pigskin came from.”
“It will be interesting to see how this bookauction goes on Thursday – up for grabs is a rare Chaucer from 1896produced by William Morris, bound in pigskin with 87 woodcuts and illustrated by pre-RaphaeliteEdward Burne-Jones.”
“Usually pigskin is favored because it is porous, allowing air to circulate.”
“The gossip site that has mastered the art of invading other people's privacy - with exclusives on everything from Apple's prototype iPhone 4 to pictures of Brett Favre's, um, "pigskin" - has had its own privacy invaded this weekend.”
“And for about a decade, the Patriots owner has been trying to persuade a Jewish country in love with soccer and basketball to play a game involving something called a pigskin.”
“I don't know a field goal from a touchdown, and spend most Super Bowl Sundays wishing a pigskin were a crunchy fried snack.”
“From the time eluding classmates in grade 11 Phys Ed. flag football became too easy and he realized carrying the pigskin was his calling, Larscheid did nothing but produce.”
“But now he's goin 'to send for what he calls a' pigskin 'and he's a-goin' to teach us football.”
“Across the nation, there is pent-up demand for the pigskin.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pigskin’.
candles with a "manly" scent
For more aporkalyptic fun, see madmouth's Everything's better with a pig in it.
For "references to the Dursleys in Wizard People, Dear Reader, Brad Neely's cosmos-shattering voiceover ...
You heard it here first. Well, maybe not first, but you heard it here. Well, maybe not "heard," but read. You read it here. At some point.
Looking for tweets for pigskin.