American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Trimming or lining made of fur.
- n. A furlike coating, as on the tongue.
- n. The preparation of a wall, ceiling, or floor with strips of wood or metal to provide a level substratum for plaster, flooring, or another surface or to create an air space.
- n. Strips of material used in this process.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Furs; peltry; trimmings of fur.
- n. A deposit resembling fur, as of scale in a steam-boiler or of epithelium on the tongue.
- n. In carpentry: The nailing on of thin strips of board, as to joists and rafters, in order to bring them to a level to form an even surface, or in other positions for various purposes.
- n. plural The strips thus nailed on.
- n. Strips fastened to a solid wall of a house for nailing laths on, and to provide an air-space between the wall and plastering.
- v. present participle of fur.
- n. Parts of clothing made from fur.
- n. A coating that resembles fur.
- n. A strip of material used to prepare a wall for plastering.
- n. shipbuilding double planking of a ship's side
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The leveling of a surface, or the preparing of an air space, by means of strips of board or of larger pieces. See fur, v. t., 3.
- n. The strips thus laid on.
- n. (Shipbuilding) Double planking of a ship's side.
- n. A deposit from water, as on the inside of a boiler; also, the operation of cleaning away this deposit.
- n. a furlike coating of matter as on the tongue
- n. strip used to give a level surface for attaching wallboard
“Temporarily hard water may be softened by boiling; the lime will be deposited, as may be seen in the "furring" of tea-kettles.”
“Also, is anyone worried about the pipes furring up…”
“We used ipe wood strips as the skin of the structure, the ipe wood skin is devised as a double wall system, in which horizontal ipe strips are placed over vertical, furring strips.”
“But her hands began to stroke the thick, black furring about his neck.”
“This house proposes that we not sully the memory of a parent, least of all one who sends a judder through a child, unleashing rather that selfsame, satin-lined grizzly, that selfsame man-eater whose breath is furring the windshield.”
“The grass was the fresh green of early summer, clumps of sturdy growth shooting out of the rocks and furring the ground under the oaks.”
“Seriously, find studs, they have to be there, mark and ck for levelness, then make a cleat (2) (a piece of 1x2 lumber - furring strip) that fits along length of shelf that you can screw to the studs.”
“Coby would like to announce that, technically, he found the clean sheets first and therefore should be entitled to first furring of said sheets.”
“September 26, 2008 at 6:02 am furring Ur clothez one shurt at a tyme”
“Just nawt in teh Nawt Sekond plaice – oar purrhaps wehn re furring to it.”
‘furring’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for furring.